turn off the lights, turn off the lights
If Earth Hour doesn't have a theme song yet, they really should talk to Nelly Furtado, because she has a song that would, like, totally fit.
Oh, they already did. I thought I was onto a winner there...
Anyway, last night it was Earth Hour, and despite the rest of the town doing little to dim their lights (at least from what we could tell by peering out the window at various neighbours), Frank and I flicked the switch.
I have a sneaking suspicion Earth Hour is a bit of a gimmick, but if it raises awareness of our contribution to climate change then I'm all for it. I'm so all for it I threw in a few extras for good measure:
- Showered by candle light - this was justified as essential preparation for night shift, plus the realisation that the water heated up during the off peak period the night before, so technically I was not using power during the all important hour.
- Allowed the bathroom mirror to become steamy by avoiding use of the extraction fan.
- Switched off the computer and did not check my email or blog comments every five minutes like I usually do.
- Delayed blow drying my hair until after Earth Hour - technically this did nothing to reduce my electricity use since I only put off the consumption of power. I suppose it helps that the blow drying took a few seconds less because my hair was already partially dry.
- Watched not a skerrick of television and talked to Frank instead. When I wasn't in the shower that is. And I don't watch much television anyway, so not much was gained here really.
- Used the old manual toothbrush instead of the new electric brush, and even remembered to turn the toothbrush charger off before Earth Hour. This was an all round winner!
- Lit bees wax candles given to me so long ago I cannot remember who gave them, but I say thankyou to whoever you are!