<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, March 24, 2008

lady lake tasmania

Tasmania is a bushwalker's paradise, something Frank and I too often forget as we trudge through life and ignore the myriad of beautiful walks available at our door step. The simultaneous arrival of Easter Monday and a bushwalking-mad friend saw us launch into nature today, and quite honestly it was one of the best bushwalks I've ever done - perfect weather, fantastic company, time enough to set a leisurely pace and just the right degree of incline that my knees could not indulge in their usual downhill groan. It was an altogether lovely day.

With grey skies overhead, we set out for Lady Lake in the Great Western Tiers, not knowing the precise place we were heading for. Along the way the fog lifted and we had a good view of the mountains as we circled around nameless country roads looking for the walk's starting point.


When we finally arrived we stepped into a wonderland of dappled sunlight, birdsong, gnarled tree roots, tree ferns, myrtle beech, sassafras, refreshing bush aromas and moss. The recent rain did nothing to dampen the beauty, instead bringing out the lush colours of the plants - and the leeches, but I was keeping such a close eye on them I managed to deter the three sneaky suckers who dared to climb upon my boots. Frank didn't fare so well, with one feeding quietly on his leg beneath his gaiters.





After climbing Higgs Track steadily for more than hour, we reached the plateau, home to many lakes,



though we had eyes only for Lade Lake, and a beauty she was.


I can't really say that the imbibing of wine is recommended for the average bushwalking lunch, but we had plenty of time, the company was grand, the conversation stimulating... so we did.





A perfect day.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:13 pm, March 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a stunning landscape!

 
At 12:45 am, March 25, 2008, Blogger Lauren @ mostly i run said...

It's beautiful. But Eww! Leeches!

By the way, I thought of you as I was smashing a giant spider on my bedroom ceiling last night. I know you usually free them, but this guy had to be smashed. There was no way to trap him and assure he would not jump/drop on our heads!

 
At 7:40 am, March 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully done Cecily. Makes me want to start hiking again. Tasmania fascinates me I love it when you post pictures.

 
At 7:36 am, March 26, 2008, Blogger Mike S said...

Love the smell of the forest just after a short rain on a warm day. What an absolutely enchanting place, and how blessed you and he are to be able to stop and enjoy nature's wonders. Love the great scenery:):):):)

 
At 11:27 am, March 27, 2008, Blogger Angela said...

holy smokes, cecily! you live in such a beautiful place. wow.

 
At 12:31 pm, March 27, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

God Bless your bushwacking-mad friend! Excellent telling of the adventure and the photos - perfectly gorgeous. I can almost see the leeches creeping up the boots, smell the moist soil, feel the warm sun, taste the fresh air. The foliage fascinates me - and wine - you guys thought of everything!

Thanks for this mini-vacation!

 
At 11:27 am, March 28, 2008, Blogger Robyn said...

Just gorgeous. We need to come back to Tasmania :)
RYC: alls well, just a bit drained and not having a lot of blogging (my own or others) time lately. Maybe I need a tonic,lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home