<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

this is what i did with the beetroot

I confess I didn't eat the beetroot as immediately as my post indicated... I cooked it up tonight. Roast beetroot is a bit of a favourite, so I made a roast beetroot and sweet potato (kumara) salad.



Even with a few less herbs than directed (due to a paucity of supply), and lettuce replacing the baby spinach leaves, it tasted amazing. Here's the recipe:

Beetroot and sweet potato salad with feta (from 'cool food' again - page 273)

350g fresh baby beetroot, trimmed and washed
250g orange sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
60ml (1/4 cup) garlic oil
1 garlic bulb
3 tablespoons olive oil
20g butter
1 red onion, cut into 1cm wedges
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon shredded basil
150g baby English spinach leaves
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and stems discarded
120g feta cheese

Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4). Wrap each beetroot in foil and place on a baking tray. Brush the sweet potato with garlic oil and season. Place on another baking tray with the whole garlic bulb. Cook with the beetroot for 35-40 minutes, or until tender. Test with a skewer, and when tender, remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until the butter has melted. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for minutes, or until soft. Add the vinegar and sugar, cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is golden and starting to caramelise.

Peel the garlic cloves and combine them with the lemon juice, basil and remaining oil. Season to taste.

Toss the spinach, beetroot, sweet potato, onion and rosemary in a bowl. Crumble the feta over the top and drizzle with the dressing. Serve warm.

Serves 4


Then I cooked up this Eggplant, tomato and sumac salad and a couple of rumps of lamb and served it all up for tea. Yummo.




(This recipe came from the sister book 'bbq food', another fabulous investment)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:26 am, March 11, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

Why aren't there any comments on this post!!!??? That food looks delicious. I've copied down the recipe so that I can make it when we get our fresh veggies this summer.

I've been meaning to comment here for some time but have been too busy to do more than drool. BUT the photos have been in my mind. In fact, yesterday when we were in the produce section of our store Tom asked me how to cook beets. I answered, "Cecily has a delicious looking recipe on her blog and I'm going to copy it down." He got a big smile and said, "GOOD!"

So, even though you were comment free in the blogosphere, there were plenty of verbal comments here in Oregon.

Thanks for sharing this, Cec!

 
At 11:27 am, March 11, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

Oh, and I'm going to buy that bbq food book you mention. You should get commissions from Amazon for all the good books to convince me to buy. :D

 
At 9:52 pm, March 11, 2008, Blogger cecily said...

Hey Cherie! Thankyou... I thought lots of people would comment on this too! Sure tasted good.

 
At 9:00 am, March 13, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

I'll bet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home