<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

foolish spring dressing

I should have watched the weather forecast last night. Or thought about the implications of this morning's frost. But no, I looked out the window and the sun was shining so I dressed in a summery blouse and 3/4 pants and set out for town.

The wind was icy, but I soldiered on - I was mostly inside so I would be alright. And the sun was shining.

Oh that I had watched that weather forecast! 13C was the projected top, as I discovered on a shopfront television. 13C - what season are we in again?

And then it snowed. I kid you not. Main street, summery blouse and 3/4 pants and it snowed! It never snows in town - only on the nearby mountains. And certainly not in the middle of spring.

Funnily enough I wasn't the only one in summery-clothes denial! Half of the city's inhabitants were caught out similarly, and we all stood stunned and shivering as the snow fell, turning incredulously to one another and asking if it really was snowing?! It wasn't rain, it wasn't hail - could these small, white flakes possibly be snow? We all confirmed for each other that it was indeed snow! Of course it melted straight away and soon turned to plain old rain, but oh what a chill thrill.

Interestingly enough, our movie of choice last night was "An Invconvenient Truth", Al Gore's documentary on global warming. The facts he presented were perhaps more chilling than today's snow. Our globe is on the boil - maybe not to the degree presented by Al Gore (we found an online interview where he admits to using the worst predictions to engender political policy change) but things are hotting up and we need to do something about it.

It's well known that Australia is one of only two developed countries that has not signed the Kyoto agreement. Well it's well known now that Al Gore declared it loudly from the screen! I felt so ashamed and saddenned when he declared this fact that I actually cried. It is a tragedy that as a country Australia will not acknowledge our part in producing greenhouse gases, take responsibility for it and do something about it. Hang the economy - we have a responsibility here.

Snow in November, and global warming. Hmmm. There's an anomaly here! Maybe it would have been more appropriate for Al Gore to have focused on the potential for a sudden ice-age brought on by ocean currents flummoxed by melting ice?!

Whatever, Frank and I are becoming more and more environmentally conscious. We're committed to doing our bit to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in our home.

Now I must away to rug up in warm winter clothes!

7 Comments:

At 7:02 pm, November 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo ... ooo ... looks like I might beat Robyn this time!!

Haven't read the post yet, just making sure I beat Robyn.

What was it? Eat my dust?

Hehe.

 
At 7:08 pm, November 15, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Nooooooooooo! I step away from the computer to look after my domestic responsibilities and look what happens, I should have let the kids fend for themselves so I could have continued to show my commitment to Cecily's blogging. I KNEW that "eat my dust" comment was going to come back to bite me! :)

 
At 7:09 pm, November 15, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Oh and very cool that you had snow today Cec, we had the a/c running...global warming is a bit more relevant here I feel.

 
At 7:10 pm, November 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I've read your post ... I agree, it would be nice if the powers that be would acknowledge the need for $$$ to be put behind our environment. Maybe if the Greens were a little less extreme, environmental policy would get its rightful place on our national priority list?

At any rate, while the contributions of households to reducing emmissions (buying green electricity, etc.) are well and good, it shouldn't be the responsibility of the householder to care about the environment. Householders, in general, go for the cheapest option. Remove the cheaper option and we might get somewhere!! And if that costs money, spend it!!

I'll step down off my soapbox (not enough room for two soapboxes on happychatter ;-)) and say ... thanks for the thoughtful post.

:-)

 
At 7:11 pm, November 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently Robyn's priority list needs some help too eh ;-)

Did your husband tell you I saw him at the school the other day?

 
At 8:10 pm, November 15, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Yes, he did, but only after I asked him if he'd seen you (I saw on your blog that Aimee had asked you to take photos of the school musical and it seemed too coincidental for there to be two Aimees with musicals in this little area of the world).
Hmmm, maybe my priorities do need adjusting, although I could argue that letting the kids get their own dinner could teach survival skills?? Or maybe not...

 
At 10:10 pm, November 15, 2006, Blogger cecily said...

6 comments on my blog - that's fantastic!! Incredible. I must be so popular in the world.

Oh, it's a conversation between two people. Never mine.

LOL - you guys make me laugh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home