<$BlogMetaData$

Sunday, November 12, 2006

shaking off the blogging chains

I've just advised Frank that I cannot assist him with any of the little jobs he requested help with because I have to blog. Did I say yestserday that he has been over the whole NaBloPoMo thing from day one? Well don't even mention it to him today!

It's ridiculous really. As if blogging has taken over my life.

Today I announced my resignation from a particular team I have been part of. There were a few efforts to encourage me to renege on my decision, before someone suggested that we resign from commitments when we don't value them enough, or when they cause us grief. In this case it was both. I value my relationships with my husband and friends enough to withdraw from something that was sapping too much of my energy. It also caused me grief - but that's a whole 'nother story!

But where does blogging fit into this value equation? Do I value it more than the team I recently departed? Do I value it more than I value my relationship with my husband and friends??

The flip answer is "No, of course not!"

The long, thoughtful answer might be "Maybe... it certainly is important to me to meet my blogging commitment... does that mean blogging is more important to me than other things?"

Ridiculous that I have to even consider such a question. If I have to ask myself this, then I have serious problems: Blogging matters too much.

I need to put some stops in! Only short blogs from now on, no editing and re-editing and re-editing in the quest for perfection. What you see is what you get (sure, we'll see how long that lasts! I'm editing already). And if it isn't world-changing or life-changing or even interesting - that's just too bad dear reader! I apologise, but for the sake of my marriage it must be done.

A redeeming point is that I do not randomise through the other NaBloPoMo writers - I seriously don't have time. In fact, I really don't have time to write any more right now because I'm going to go and help my husband plant tomato seedlings and tidy the room he has been nagging begging me to clean!

So long.

(Check out that little bit of HTML - are you proud of me or what?!)

2 Comments:

At 5:12 am, November 13, 2006, Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

I'm with you. My son and husband always say "BLOG" in this hideous low voice whenever they see me sit down at the computer.

I'm truly addicted to blogging.

:)

 
At 12:48 pm, November 13, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

LOL, now I understand a little better why blogging is using up so much of your time! I just sit down and write and publish...very occasionally I'll rethink a sentence and go back to change it but for the most part it just goes straight out. Thats probably why you have such thought provoking blogs and mine are pretty much froth and bubble :) I'm reluctant to encourage you to spend less time blogging because I love having access to another side of you, but I don't want it to be at the expense of your relationships either so go the short blogs without editing!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home