<$BlogMetaData$

Friday, November 10, 2006

a lot can be learned from the humble rhododendron

Our garden has been awash with flowers for a while now - beautiful. Amongst the blooms are a preponderance of rhododendrons. I think Frank decided he loved them, and knowing no restraint if he loves something, he filled the garden with them. Some are fine young specimens like this one, with delicious flowers and lush growth:



Others are a bit seedy, like this one. Laden with flowers, but otherwise not much substance. This is actually a plant that Frank transplanted some time ago and it's struggled all along. Apparently this many flowers with so few leaves could be a sign that the plant is about to die - one last ditch effort at reproduction before carking it.


As some of you know, I love to draw analogies from nature, so I got to thinking about these rhododenrons. Both are beautiful, showing off in all their floral glory.

But one plant has substance while the other has none. One has beauty, while the other has beauty and character.

Got me to thinking. What kind of person am I? Beautiful but lacking in substance? I'd hate to be somebody who's all about externals. Froth and bubble with no depth!

I don't think I'll ever stop fussing about external beauty - I love makeup and hair goop (some of the time, but I hate when it goops your hair together in clumps!), jewellery and nice clothes. But if that's all I fuss about, then I'm not worth knowing.

So I'm off to cultivate some inner beauty. And here's a delicate rhododendron blossom for you.


2 Comments:

At 8:16 am, November 11, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

Does Frank know no restraint if he loves something??! I think I need to ring you! ;)

You know I didn't know that that particular flower was a rhododendrum? Do they have a fragrance?
I like your analogy, although it doesn't quite fit with the "by your fruit shall you know them" - I know thats not the actual quote but I'm too lazy to go look it up right now. For the record I think there's a lot of substance behind your exterior fluff and bubbles!

 
At 8:56 am, November 13, 2006, Blogger Sideon said...

The pictures are wonderful!

It's fall here in California and we're about to go into the rain season. There won't be flowers, such as the ones you posted, until February at the earliest.

Thanks for the visual feast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home