<$BlogMetaData$

Saturday, November 11, 2006

$75 for that?!

I went to the supermarket with the teeniest little list today, and still came out $75 poorer! Granted it was 4pm and I hadn't eaten lunch so I did toss a few extra items in the trolley to quench the hunger pangs - bag of marshmallows, Turkish Delight, box of Choc Wedge ice creams - but $75 for a handful of essentials plus a couple of treats?!

How on earth can two tubs of yoghurt, cereal, and juice contribute to such great expense? And when did frozen peas and apricot jam break the budget?

I didn't check the docket in the store, but when I got home I pulled it out and combed through it just to make sure they hadn't double charged for everything!

Nope, no double charging. But large jars of Nutella and a bag of apricots are not cheap these days! Apricots seem to have done the same price hike as bananas - $10 a kilo. I'm so bored with apples and kiwi fruit I don't care. Next week I might buy bananas regardless of cost.

(I decided today that the growers and media must be in cahoots. The media tells exaggerated stories of fuit loss and the farmers hike the price up, with a small commission to the media for their valuable service)

So there you go. The bottom of the trolley was hardly covered but the wild price was no lie. Mental note to self - eat before going to the supermarket and no more special treats!

(Did you notice that this was a sneaky list of ten?! Ten things I really did buy from the supermarket, all tucked away in the story. Blogging every day is starting to get tedious. Frank got over it after day one but I've been patting myself on the back for not breaking the flow. But I'd rather develop stories over a few days - they perculate around in my head and come out flavoursome and rich. This spitting one out a day is like instant coffee... the quality just isn't there. Oh well - only 19 days to go and this blog can then return to the quality number that it was! I better win a prize for the effort though!)

2 Comments:

At 9:51 pm, November 11, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

The NaBloPoMo members have been dropping like flies....well they're still on the list but random clicking on the list has revealed quite a few people who aren't posting everyday. Maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time.... ;) Anyway, I think you're in the running for a prize! :)
As for the groceries, do you have Aldi in Tasmania? Shopping there saves me a packet although I now buy gummi bears everytime we go grocery shopping!

 
At 3:21 pm, November 12, 2006, Blogger cecily said...

No aldis here, or any other brand of cheap supermarket :-(
Good news on NaBloPoMo! Maybe I will keep it up - and be the last woman standing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home