<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, September 14, 2006

fascinating fennel

My love affair with fennel is continuing... I bought some more. Not because I want to be a posh grocery store snob this time. Just because I've decided it is a fascinating vegetable that somehow doesn't seem like a vegetable but is a vegetable. It sat in the fridge the same as the last fennel while I deliberated over how to cook it, until yesterday I found another recipe and cooked it up. Yummo! It tasted delicious, so I have to share.

Fennel and Lentil Bake (doesn't that sound SOOOOO delicious!)

40g butter
one medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
180g lentils
400ml water
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
450g fennel
bread crumbs
grated cheese

  1. melt the butter in a saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until soft
  2. add the bay leaf, lentils and water and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender and gold coloured, remove the bay leaf
  3. add the lemon juice and salt and pepper, and blend lentil mixture until smooth
  4. meanwhile, chop the fennel bulb roughly, saving some small leaves
  5. microwave or steam fennel until just tender
  6. transfer fennel to shallow, greased baking dish and pour lentil mixture over the top
  7. sprinkle bread crumbs and cheese over the dish
  8. bake in 200C oven (preheated of course!) for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown
  9. eat and enjoy
When I removed the bay leaf, I realised it was a kaffir lime leaf. Still tasted good. I couldn't smell if they were bay leaves or not, so I put one in anyway. Obviously my sense of smell leaves a lot to be desired!

3 Comments:

At 10:17 pm, September 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Photo! Photo! I want a photo!

:-)

 
At 12:06 am, September 15, 2006, Blogger Ben and Melissa James said...

Thanks for your idea as what to do with the floss. I think that is hilarious!

 
At 11:14 am, September 18, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

I wonder if the lack of smell is something to do with nursing? I seriously seem to have lost a lot of my smell ability, maybe too many unpleasant smells???!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home