<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, November 23, 2006

delirious

I've been wondering if spiders have personalities and can suffer from mental illnesses.

We all know humans have different personalities and some suffer from mental illnesses, and it's been recently proven that animals have different personalities, not just cats and dogs - even sea creatures. And everybody's heard of crazy dogs, viscious cats and mad cows. So why not spiders? Spiders might have personalities and suffer from mental illnesses too.

Take this for example. A tiny spider was living on the floor in front of our vanity basin in the bathroom. He just kind of sat there, and, being a bit into spider torture, I would blow hot air on him just to watch him run under the basin. Only he behaved very unusually. He never ran for the safety of the basin - instead he ran around and around in erratic circles before coming to a stop almost exactly he started.

This continued to happen for a couple of days, and it set me to wondering. Could this little spider be slightly mad? Was he suffering from dehydration induced delirium? Did he have a mental illness?

This morning I found him curled up on the floor, dead. Poor little spider. Tortured and tormented in life, perhaps chasing his demons around the bathroom floor.

I personally think this is evidence that spiders may suffer from mental illnesses. So be nice to the spiders in your home - they may be feeling tortured and delirious with fright.

Oh what... you mean it's me who's delirious from blogging? Not the spiders? Sorry. Just forget this whole post!

4 Comments:

At 7:04 pm, November 23, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

I don't like spiders. I'm not too perturbed at the thought of them having any type of illness.....unless it makes them more likely to jump out at me.
BTW Cecily, have you seen this prize you could win for your stellar blogging? Check it out, I had several moments of hilarity at the though of it gracing your walls :) http://hooker-blog.blogspot.com/2006/11/overtime.html

 
At 9:35 pm, November 23, 2006, Blogger cecily said...

I did see it, and I was seriously hoping not to win it :-).

 
At 9:37 pm, November 23, 2006, Blogger cecily said...

then again, it's very clever - oh great blogging turkeys, you have won a prize!!!

 
At 9:54 pm, April 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My twelve year old is laughing outragiously after I have read the blog about the "mentally ill" spiders in your house. I felt reassurred up until she said "she could have a point".
Personally I think the spider ran around and around because he was burnt by the hot air. Thinking about it, I know I jump around a bit and move in an unusual way when I suffer a burn. I don't think it would take much hot air to burn spider cells either, Cecily, so yes I think it is a good philosophy to be kind to the spiders in your house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home