<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, November 30, 2009

how to be a good brown owl

I'm not exactly sure how it all began. Perhaps a whispered idea between like-minded friends, but, word of mouth being what it is (a wonderful thing), now a dozen or more of us meet for craft and friendship every month.

Let's be honest, it's not a new idea. Women have been sewing and cooking and shelling peas together for centuries, but now we are just cooler. That's because we are 'Brown Owls' and we have a fun code of conduct:
Be Nice
Include others
Do your best
Try new stuff
Be helpful
Have nice manners
Be a bit crafty

Hurrah!
I was never a Brownie or a Girl Guide growing up, so a lot of the Brown-Owl-ness is lost on me. Prefects? Badges to earn? Codes of Conduct?! But I love craft and I like meeting people, so I joined the group, signed the pledge, agreed to the Code of Conduct (Frank would prefer it if I followed the code at all times, but I figure all the time is a big ask - just during meetings will do surely!), and I'm in. A true Brown Owl.

Tonight was our last meeting for the year, and I had a good old time chatting away to lots of crafty ladies. Unfortunately knitting lace scarves whilst talking animatedly is not conducive to quality work, so I'm hoping my mother in law won't examine her Christmas gift too closely.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:14 am, December 01, 2009, Anonymous 2paw said...

Someone has made coasters out of old maps- I thought immediately of you!!
http://crafttutorials.net/2009/11/homemade-map-coasters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CraftTutorials+%28Craft+Tutorials%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

There's a Code???????? I hope I haven't been breaking it!!!

 
At 7:42 pm, December 02, 2009, Blogger cecily said...

Oooh... cool. I might have to give these a go!

I was just thinking how well you fulfil the code in every possible way Cindy. :-D

 
At 6:23 pm, December 05, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Great Idea...Brown Owl ..well that brought back memories...I used to be one! A Brown Owl of a brownie guides pack...enjoyed it especially camps..but for various reasons I left..glad to see there are other brown owl types flitting about :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home