<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, April 02, 2007

the mathematics of Sunday

I love God, don't get me wrong, but something is bothering me about the whole church thing.

Sunday = Church
Church = Music
Music = Work
Work = Energy expenditure
Energy expenditure = Tiredness

Therefore, Sunday = Tiredness.*

This is not a happy equation. A better one would be:

Life (including Sunday) = God
God = Love
Love = Peace and joy
Peace and joy = Contentment
Contentment = Rest

Therefore, Life (including Sunday) = Rest.*

I'm reminded of something Philip Yancey says about prayer:
I have found that my reluctance to pray increases when I regard it as a necessary discipline and decreases when I see it as a time to keep company with God.
I'm tired of rocking up to church on Sunday to perform duties that I'm not sure he even requires of me. I'm disenchanted by the 'need' to prepare and present a feature service every week. I'd like to sit at his feet and gaze at his face and drink in his beauty. That would be a wonderful Sunday.

Sunday = God, love, peace, joy, contentment, rest.*

How good would that be?!

* I'm a little jaded at present. It's highly likely that Music = Loving God. I'm just not there right now. For me, Sitting in adoration at God's feet = Loving God. The two seem incompatible, but I hope to assimilate them at a future date!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:46 pm, April 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! It's a nice thing that you do Cecily, but unfortunately when you do so much, it can take away your quiet time with who ever you want to share it with i.e. God, Frank etc.

Your doing Gods work though, so that's a good thing too.

Still waiting for that music video!

 
At 6:38 am, April 03, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

ahhh. the music video! You might be waiting a while! ;)

 
At 9:53 am, April 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be granting these wishes to those people that live so far away and can't come to church to here you sing. Were's Frank, maybe I could talk him into convincing you!

 
At 4:41 pm, April 03, 2007, Blogger Robyn said...

You know what I think. Its so easy to get burnt out doing a lot of "good" stuff but it's not worth it if your relationship with Him isn't at the top of the list. When Paul and I overdid things we really had to go back to basics and make the reorder our priorities so that our relationship with God was top of the list followed by our relationship with each other and ministry filtered in with family, work etc. I'm not saying thats necessarily where you are at, I hope you don't get to the point that I did, but I do know that I found it sooo hard to say no to things because they were GOOD and there wasn't necessarily somebody else to do them but it wasn't worth the sacrifice and if its not drawing you closer to God then its not right. Love you!

 
At 2:32 am, April 05, 2007, Blogger Cherie said...

You are not alone, Cecily, if that helps. What you've discovered here, is worth pondering. I found myself doing what Robyn and Paul did - going back to basics. It cleared away a lot of the junk that was cluttering my perspective.

You have an interesting mind. Your blog is enjoyable!

 
At 7:55 am, April 05, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

Thanks Cherie and Robyn. I think I know what I need to do... I'm just poor at doing it! Takes a lot of discipline and determination to not be drawn into busyness. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home