<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, January 15, 2007

strange shopping expedition

The January edition of Notebook magazine assured me that this year's holiday must-have is a summer dress, so I've been keeping my eye out. Gotta keep up with the fashions!

Yesterday Frank suggested I make my own summer dress, rather than spending a small fortune on something suitably fashionable. 'Good idea,' I thought. I used to sew a lot of my own clothes, and it was fun and cheap. Frank's Dad gave us a sewing machine that he couldn't figure out how to use and I haven't used it yet either. Now seems as good a time as any to get get sewing and put it to good use. So I headed out today with my sights set on a pattern and some sassy material.

I love shopping. I try not to love it, but I just can't seem to help myself, so it was more than just the hope of a new dress that filled my heart with pleasure as I set my path toward the shops. It looked like being a good afternoon.

And it was - until I started flicking through those pattern books. They've hardly changed in ten years! Some of them were exactly the same patterns as the last time I looked through the books! Have the designers no imagination?! And what chance did I have of finding a suitably fashionable number here?!

I flicked back and forth, comparing patterns here and there, even pulling one out of my bag, from 1996 mind you, comparing it with the 'latest' styles. I almost opted for reusing that one, but I managed to find a slightly updated version with less gather in the skirt.

The fabric choice wasn't any easier. Spotlight has ruined any chance of finding unique, quality fabric. Every independent fabric store in town has closed down since they imposed themselves on the local market. So it was large black flowers or large black flowers, all in the thinnest of material. I did eventually find a reasonable green floral print and decided it would have to do. For once I didn't have to wait 30 minutes for service, so I quickly but grudgingly handed over my money to the low-quality, fabric magnate of Australia in exchange for their paltry wares. A less than satisfying transaction in my opinion.

I needed to find shopping gratification somewhere else in town, so I headed to the sports store. My aqua aerobic swimmers are looking a little worse for wear - as I've toned up, they've lost all shape and it has become rather perilous jumping upwards at the same time as the water drags downwards on the cossies. I mightn't really need that summer dress, but I do need new swimmers!

What a disaster! I began with the size 10 swimsuits. They were all too tight. I know I've put on a few kilos since we got married, but surely not that much?! I reluctantly turned to the size 12s - but they were just that bit too big. Finally I settled for a brown size 10 cossie. (brown to match my swim shorts of course) It was a little uncomfortable, but would stretch in the water. And at least I could get it on - the pink size 10... it nearly killed me forcing my body into that one!

Just as I was about to hand over my card to pay, I saw it. G10. Girl's 10.

Both the brown and pink costumes were a girl's size 10! Weep no more! I have put on weight, but not so much I can't still fit into a girl's size 10! Woohoo. (I hope I haven't destroyed the swimmers for girl's who really do need G10!)

I went back into the change room with some women's size 10 and found one that looked reasonable. But it wasn't brown. And I was so hot and bothered, shimmying in and out of swimsuit after swimsuit that I just couldn't be bothered. I walked out of the store empty handed.

And that is the story of my shopping expedition. What a disappointment!

But I still love shopping. I do. I really do. Next time it will be better!

3 Comments:

At 9:39 pm, January 16, 2007, Blogger Robyn said...

I'm impressed/a little freaked that you could get into a kid's size 10!!!

 
At 1:21 am, January 17, 2007, Blogger Lauren @ mostly i run said...

U.S. sizes must be very different. If you were able to get into a girls 10 here, you would probably be wearing a women's 2 or 4!

 
At 6:28 am, January 17, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

I think I am usually a US 6-8... There's no way I'd fit into a kid's 10 of anything else - thank goodness swimmer's stretch, or I might still be trying to get myself out of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home