<$BlogMetaData$

Sunday, January 07, 2007

day 2: hauy that's magnificent

It was impossible to reduce so much beauty and activity into one small post, so here is another record of our adventures on the Peninsula. This map of Tasmania shows you exactly where we were.

Day 2 we decided to journey into the wilderness - us and hundreds of others. All of us so busy trying to escape the crowds that we created our own! It didn't ruin the beauty - we exchanged knowing smiles with one another, subtly acknowledging our shared appreciation of the sites.

Our wilderness experience began with a drive into the Tasman National Park. Click here for a map. At road end we tumbled out of the car to discover Fortesque Beach.


From the beach we headed west, towards Cape Hauy. The Parks and Wildlife Service website states that the 4 hour return, moderate grade walk passes through a variety of heath and woodland to the magnificent views of steep cliffs and spectacular rock formations.

At times we felt we were walking through a moonscape, as some of the heath and woodland had been consumed by bushfire, but if we looked closely we could see the ground bursting with new growth.



The Parks and Wildlife Service were certainly right about the views! We discovered magnificence at almost every bend in the track.

Stunning coastline one direction...


...dramatic cliffs the other. Stunning.


Ah, did I mention the dramatic cliffs?



At times we were walking within inches of the edge, and once when Frank got close enough to peer over the side, it left him feeling just a little dizzy! With the brisk wind added in, it made for rather cautious stepping at times!

The whole day went from the sublime to the ridiculous. Beauty on a grand scale gave way to the delicate, fragile, tiny beauty of the wild flowers. I fell in love with them.


After several hours of walking in sandles (sturdy sandles, but I'll never wear them bushwalking again!), my thoughts started turning back to that beautiful beach. As the sweat dripped down my back I guzzled water and imagined cool refreshing water swathing my body as I plunged into the ocean.

When we did make it back, the water was certainly refreshing - in fact I think I can safely say it was the most refreshing swim I've ever had. (read: "the coldest, iciest swim I've ever had") I cooled down quickly after that one!

We sat on the beach until I got too cold, absorbing all we had seen and done and thanking God for such riches on our very doorstep.

4 Comments:

At 9:14 pm, January 07, 2007, Blogger Robyn said...

The Tasmanian Bureau for Tourism should be paying you! Stunning.

 
At 8:35 am, January 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is breathless. You are a very lucky lady to have this at your fingertips.

 
At 11:30 am, January 08, 2007, Blogger Lauren @ mostly i run said...

It looks like you had a wonderful trip!

Hmm ... I need a vacation!

 
At 3:04 pm, January 08, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

Merry, maybe you should vacation here?!

I gladly volunteer as tour guide for anyone who wants to come and visit!

Robyn, I will take up the commission suggestion with the department. :-) (I have a long history of tour guiding - whenever anyone visits me anywhere I carefully plan a tour with specially prepared commentary!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home