<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

oh ok, if i must

Initially my plan was to start studying a Masters of Counselling in semester 2. Then they told me I didn't have enough counselling experience to enroll in the Masters, but I could look at studying a Grad Dip in Counselling if I liked. And since the government is willing to pay half the cost of a Grad Dip (as opposed to none of the Masters) and it was all the same subjects as a Masters, meaning I would have to study less for a Masters later and I could even take a break before starting the Masters if I wanted, I did like and accepted a position in the Grad Dip.

Just one problem, I had to start in semester 1 with 18 credit points. Ha! No way.

If there's one thing I learned from last year it was not to overcommit.
Actually I've been learning that my whole life.
One day I might remember.

So I said 'no, I will not study this year, I will defer until next year'. Then a letter arrived in the post today: you have been granted advanced standing for 12 credit points. Which means I might only need to study one unit this semester. Instead of three. Woopee!

I'm still working out how to study half a subject, since they only granted me advanced standing for 6 credit points of a 12 credit point subject. I'm hoping they just made a typo and I really have advanced standing for the whole subject.

Which would mean I could start my Grad Dip in Counselling without opening a single book or doing any study for a whole semester!

And I didn't even ask for this, the course coordinator just figured it all out while I was blissfully unaware! How cool is that?

And, even more exciting, I met someone yesterday who knows of an opportunity to start counselling without jumping through 100,000 loops. I just need to find a supervisor so I don't do anything dangerous! Things are looking up for my counselling aspirations.

UPDATE: It's official. I have been granted advanced standing in both first semester subjects and don't need to study until second semester! I am one happy girl.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:06 am, February 07, 2008, Blogger Sandy said...

Boy, no sooner did you state you were making changes, the changes came pouring in. Good for you. Your hard work has paid off and the school is seeing you for the person you are. They want you Cecily! March on!

 
At 3:42 am, February 09, 2008, Blogger Mike S said...

Be patient, you're very young still. It took me from 1964 until 1972 to complete my 1st degree part time, the rest came more readily as you're discovering. When credit starts serving multiple degrees it becomes really neat!!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home