<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, November 26, 2007

a little tassie laugh

I was going to write a big serious post about all the things I've been reflecting on, but my head has been dizzy all day, I'm still tired (entirely self inflicted - had to see who won Australian Idol) and I just need something quick, easy and light. So here it is.

Tasmania has a culture and a life all its own. If there were just a few more people living here you might even hear calls for us to secede from Australia. As it is, most people are smug in their believe that Tasmanians are smarter and better than all other Australians and life here is better than anywhere else in the country. They might be right about the better life, but there has been so much inbreeding in all those isolated country communities you don't have to travel far to meet a multitude of the local intellectually challenged. The inbreeding is so well recognised that scientists flock here to study the resultant genetic disorders. But that thing about all Tasmanians sporting a scar on their shoulder after being born with two heads... that one isn't true. Anyway, life in Tassie is pretty good and consequently mainlanders are viewed with some suspicion around these parts.

A lot of very clever television ads have sprung from this parochial mentally. One memorable beer ad featured a group of men building a giant wall along the north coast - to keep the mainlanders out. Another saw a massive outboard motor attached to the island to pull us away from the mainland.

Perhaps my favourite Tassie ads though are these ones for Betta Milk. I've been hunting for them on the internet for months and now they've appeared on You Tube. I'm so excited to be able to share them with you so you too can begin to think like a Tasmanian. (It's unfortunate that in my internet searches I discovered that Betta Milk is owned by the mainland company who also own Pura Milk. But we'll ignore that little fact for now)

Enjoy!



Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:37 pm, November 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I really like these ads as well. Or as much as you can like ads. Even after seeing them many times, I still giggle to myself.

 
At 12:38 am, November 28, 2007, Blogger Sandy said...

These are great. Do you get milk from your goats?

 
At 1:07 pm, November 28, 2007, Blogger deanna said...

Quite clever. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home