<$BlogMetaData$

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

joyful, joyful

I think it all began as I walked to work this morning.

A run of the mill blackbird sat atop a building singing his heart out, and as he sang his whole body moved to the music. There he was, back arched, head high, beak raised, wings flapping in time with his song. He was so into it he could be heard over the rumble of passing cars and trucks. Wonderful! And my heart started to dance a little within me.

Then I discovered a way to be a counsellor (I've been having trouble finding a place to gain experience) - become a school chaplain. I found out that 16 schools around here were recently given government grants to employ chaplains. I sent off an email or two and have the information I need to submit an application. I also emailed a Tasmanian counselling association and they advised me I could conceivably consider myself qualified, studying for higher qualifications. My innards began to dance some more - my dream just might be attainable!

And this evening was the icing on the cake. At camp a few of us indulged our Australian Idol aspirations by forming a vocal ensemble and learning some beautiful songs. Tonight we joined with the vocal ensemble of a local high school and presented a wee concert. Nothing fancy and not quite polished, but it was fun. I enjoyed it and it triggered joy and delight within.

Just an average day, but somehow joyful.

Isn't that what life's about? Finding joy and meaning in the mundane!

My heart is filled with song. Mmmmmm.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:05 am, November 07, 2007, Blogger Sandy said...

Another new adventure Cecily. Wow, how exciting. Keep us updated on how it goes.

I was thinking of you yesterday as I sang along to a song in the car. My voice unlike yours is one that should not be shared with the world. Musical notes, the way they should be heard, cannot come from within me. It doesn't stop me however, no matter how bad the sound. But I did think of you with what I imagine to be your voice, smiling, thinking of joking with you about youtube.

 
At 1:40 am, November 07, 2007, Blogger Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Good luck with the councelling, and, that's great about the vocal ensemble!

 
At 7:53 am, November 07, 2007, Blogger deanna said...

Joyful bird and maybe a way to live your dream - wonderful. Happy singing to you, too!

 
At 10:05 pm, November 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sis - don't know if you heard but chaplaincy is already in the family :) I started at two schools four weeks ago.

 
At 9:58 pm, November 09, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

Hey Nate! Yes, Mum told me what you are doing... hope you don't mind me copying ;). How's it all going? I have your book btw, and yes, it was very helpful for my essay. :) What's your email now... you can find my email address on the profile page.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home