<$BlogMetaData$

Sunday, April 22, 2007

ah, tasmania

Sometimes I feel trapped in Tasmania. It lacks the wide open spaces of 'the mainland' and is just plain cut off from the rest of the world.

But sometimes living on a small island has its advantages. Like oodles and oodles of stunning coastline.

Our two nights away were too short (oh the pain of getting in the Combi and heading home!), but we did have time to enjoy several hours of coastal driving.

Simply wonderful.

Of course my camera batteries ran out at 1130 this morning (I had spares Mum... but they were flat when I put them in the camera - does the power slowly seep out of them, because I'm sure I charged them?!), and I was too cheap to buy any more so I can't share much with you, but wow, it was beautiful. Even the prosaically named Goat Island was graceful, lying low in the water just off the coast. I think I appreciated the beauty more for not observing it through the LCD of my camera!

Usually I'm careening along the highway a kilometre or so inland, so I appreciated the loveliness.

Anyway, here's a tiny peek at some of the scenery I did manage to capture. This is the beach we tumbled onto just metres from the front door of our beautiful accommodation at Beachside Retreat, West Inlet Farm. Delightful.



I'll spare you the 1500 photos featuring intricate variations of sand and shells (it's really no wonder the batteries ran out!) - as soon as I've sorted through them I'll post a select few.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:30 am, April 23, 2007, Blogger deanna said...

Looks like a beautiful, restful coastline. I'm glad you got away, even so briefly.

 
At 4:24 am, April 23, 2007, Blogger Cherie said...

Serenity in a photo! Thanks for the review of your trip. Good ones always seem much too brief. I look forward to more photos.

(I've had the exact same experience with camera batteries. Like you, I found that I enjoyed the scenery all the more once I resigned myself to the fact that photographing was not an option. Still, I do love the photos!)

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

 
At 8:11 am, April 23, 2007, Blogger lucidiocy said...

Cec,

Welcome back! I always thought Tasmania was big. Sheesh. Shows how much I paid attention in my Geography lessons. I'm going to wiki Tasmania straight away and
find out a bit more about the Tamar River.

I LOVE the ECO-cabins! How very cool! How did you find that place?? If I ever make it Australia I will definitely have to stay at Beachside Retreat.

Missed you,

Tamar

 
At 12:35 pm, April 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home Cecily. Glad you had a delightful trip. Your pictures are always so beautiful. Can't wait to see more. The link was good, wish I was closer to be able to just hop over.

 
At 6:23 pm, April 23, 2007, Blogger cecily said...

You people missed me? Aw, that's so nice!!

Tamar, a while ago you commented on Tasmania being like Alaska and I wasn't sure what you meant! Now I know. :)

I found the place by googling "Stanley accommodation" but there are a few good aussie tourist accommodation sites that it appeared on too. I also have it in my "Beautiful Accommodation in Victoria and Tasmania" book. We loved it... and two nights was not enough to fully appreciate the location and restfulness of the place.

Of course if any of you make it to Tasmania I have a room. The view is of the backyard. A very beautiful backyard of course. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home