<$BlogMetaData$

Friday, September 29, 2006

wallaby rissoles anyone?

Personally I dislike convenience food.

I would rather walk home in the rain without a coat than resort to cooking from packets and jars. OK, maybe that was an exaggeration, but it conveys my abhorence of plastic food - I like cooking from scratch with wholesome, real ingredients. (I come from a long line of supercooks, so I have a lot to live up to)

There's just one problem with all of that. I work, and every now and then I come home too exhausted to even look at a saucepan, leave alone use one to create a culinary delight. Then and only then do I resort to pasta sauce from a bottle... It's edible. If I can find the energy to add a few vegies and a tin of tuna it works wonders in the taste department and is even more edible.

Well tonight I found a solution to my can't-be-bothered-cooking woes: convenience food that tastes great and might even be healthy!

Wallaby rissoles.

Yeah I know. Those cute, cuddly little wallabies... how could we even consider eating them? Well let me tell you, they taste delicious! And the meat is lean and healthy compared to other red meat. You can't go wrong.

I found these culinary delights at a shop called 'Casalinga'. The owner has always dreamed of owning his own butchers where he could sell gourmet sausages that he makes himself. Recently he bought this store and started producing sausages to his heart's content. I went in the other day and tasted some of their cabana... I had no idea cabana could taste so good, having only ever experienced the supermarket variety. When I spied their rissoles, I decided that if they were as good as the cabana I was going to have to go back.

So tonight I toddled in, made my purchase and came home to cook. The excitement in the air was palpable... not bad for a Friday night at the end of a long week in which Frank and I have both caught nasty colds. The rissoles sizzled in the pan as I threw together some vegies before the moment of truth. The first taste.

Ooooooh. Delicious. Delightful. Delectable. Were these rissoles maybe made in heaven? I might have thought so, except I'm not convinced that cute, cuddly wallabies will come to such a grizzly end in heaven!

Wherever they were made, these were seriously good rissoles. Convenience food at it's best.

So no more slaving over a hot stove for me! 'Casalinga' here I come for ready-made rissoles. I'm almost looking forward to being exhausted after work again, just so I can get some more.

...then again, it just doesn't seem right to cook from a plastic bag...

1 Comments:

At 4:15 am, October 01, 2006, Blogger Ben and Melissa James said...

Thanks for the comment "Cleanliness is next to godliness but tidyness is next to impossible." Can I quote you in the future?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home