<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

in the kitchen

I've just cooked another cake - I love cooking cakes!

Today I made a Hazelnut Chocolate Cake from the Woman's Weekly "Quick-Mix Cakes" book. (Thanks Mum - I make a couple of cakes a week and nearly always use that book!) Yummy, yummy.

The good thing is that I don't have to eat the cake - Frank does. So I can have the pleasure of cooking without moments on the lips converting to lifetimes on the hips. Thankfully the moment on the mut doesn't seem to convert to lifetime on the gut for Frank either, so it's all good.

The Kenwood is going well, though if it was designed to save me time in the kitchen, it's a dead loss. I'm so fascinated with the whole idea of something else doing the hard work that I stand and watch. It's like I've regressed to childhood - standing there gawping as the 'planetary K beater' does its thing. I love it!

Question. This recipe used nutella and sour cream... does that mean I can use sour milk in a recipe and it will still taste OK? Our milk seems to go sour well before its use by date, and try as I might, I rarely use it all in time. What to do with sour milk? There's only so many scones you can make and eat. Is it feasible to use this milk in cakes? If you know the answer, please leave a comment!

2 Comments:

At 3:31 pm, September 29, 2006, Blogger Robyn said...

I'll ask my mom about the sour milk and get back to you. I certainly know of recipes that call for sour milk but I'm not sure if its an ok substitute for normal milk. Otherwise have you ever tried making quark? Thats a great use for off milk, yummy too!

 
At 8:57 pm, September 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought she was joking about off milk ... oh, how little I know ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home