<$BlogMetaData$

Sunday, May 04, 2008

clearing the deck

When Frank and I first married I took my wifely duties very seriously, and set about stocking up the pantry. Frank couldn't cook to save his life (though I will concede he had not yet starved to death) and I had been living with friends, so there was a lot of stocking up to be done. Every week I purchased a few extra items at the supermarket until I was satisfied I had everything I might ever need. The cupboard was... stuffed.

You will understand my shock then, when upon observing a friend's briefly opened pantry I spied almost no food. How did she manage to feed us so well with so few supplies?

I came home and reviewed my well stocked cupboard, realising we had more than enough and I should probably find a way to reduce some of our excess food. When the new year ticked around I resolved to use up all those boxes of dried fruit, sweet biscuits for cheesecake bases and fish stock I might need one day.

Here it is May and I have made some progress. The mixed fruit is almost gone, some of the choc chips have found their way into biscuits, and slivered almonds have augmented a dish or two. I can see extra space on a shelf or two.

But I'm not sure this is really called for...



...pink soup?

I had some left over vegie soup. The beetroot made it pink, but at lunch time there wasn't quite enough for two of us. So I dug out the Cream of Asparagus soup Frank's mum must have bought before we were married. I don't quite know how many years it has been sitting there, but it wasn't rusty so I opened it up and stirred it in to create this pretty brew.

It tasted OK, but I wouldn't do it again.

And it might not have been such a good idea to make that cake with the tin of sweetened condensed milk with an expiry date 2004. But I made it anyway, and even managed to use up the slimy glaze cherries, pineapple and ginger. And we're both still alive to tell the tale.

Now, what can I make with those moth eaten pistachios?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:12 am, May 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You continue to be daring Cecily. I would never had thought to put all that together. My age has proven to increase my experience in cooking, but I must say, I'm just not an "outside the box" type of cook.

It's wonderful that you are trying to take all the extra and make something of it.

 
At 8:55 am, May 05, 2008, Blogger Cherie said...

Cecily, you've inspired me. I've been sitting here on the lazy fence knowing I need to undertake what you've achieved but needing a good swift kick - or inspiration. You've provided the latter.

Thanks!

I don't know if pink soup will appear, but I'm sure other strange but edible dishes will.

 
At 10:06 am, May 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My soup would be grey. When I try to run colors of food together it always turns out grey.

Yum, grey soup!

 
At 12:19 pm, May 12, 2008, Blogger deanna said...

Your pretty pictures of food make me hungry! I need to always prod myself to fix "real" meals. You encourage me, Cecily. Hope things are going well for you.

 
At 7:00 pm, May 14, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny Cecily...and I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who uses things that others (ie Mark) thinks are past the point of no return...slimy glace' cherries do however make even me hesitate!

 
At 6:46 pm, May 18, 2008, Blogger Mike S said...

The soup sounds good, really!! Bet it'd be great on a damp & chilly day too. I lost my trepidation concerning expiration dates in Vietnam, where a lot of the rations we had in the early-mid 60s were packaged during, and left over from, WWII!!!! I've also since learned that if a can or sealed jar isn't damaged or leaking, the stuff inside may have a stale taste, but it'll be otherwise fit to eat. Ya done made me hungry as usual!!:):)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home