<$BlogMetaData$

Saturday, October 08, 2011

anecdotal, but completely reliable (or 'the wonders of coconut oil')

I have gout. At least that's what I diagnosed myself with last October when I woke in the middle of the night with a desperately throbbing big toe joint. It hurt for a couple of weeks, then settled down before flaring up every so often (often being too often and particularly when wearing certain shoes).

When I went to the naturopath about a few other issues, I mentioned my self diagnosis. "Oh yes," she said, "your iridology photo does indicate a tendency towards acidity. Avoid wheat, dairy, tomatoes, oranges, alcohol and meat and your body should produce less acid." Actually, she didn't really say the first bit - my iridology shot was rather unenlightening, with only a slight discolouration here and there that may or may not indicate anything significant, and I occasionally follow the diet.

The naturopath also pointed me towards celery seed extract as a way of helping ward off various aches and pains, but after I bought the bottle (at great expense), the pain in my toe settled down of its own accord and the capsules sit in my cupboard still.

Unrelated to all this, I have been reading and hearing about the benefits of eating coconut oil. It's a wonder product, that's for sure. I started carefully swallowing down a spoonful morning and night (the careful swallowing is important, because when it melts and runs down your throat the wrong way there will be a burned larynx and much coughing), because I read it could bring down blood pressure and I was convinced mine was up again. (Is there a slight 'self diagnosis' theme here?)

After several weeks of the coconut oil I realised I had not felt even a twinge from my big toe in ages. And my excessive PMS symptoms had all but disappeared as well. And then the coconut oil didn't taste so good and I got busy and was nearly out of it, and (the long and the short of it) stopped taking it. Gradually, over the course of two weeks, the big toe joint pain came back until it hurt every day. And the aches and pains in my arms, which I hadn't even realised were gone, returned with a vengeance (the self diagnosis on those aches is 'knitting induced RSI').

Now this is anecdotal I know, but I quickly got myself to the local health food shop (where, handily, my naturopath now works) and picked up another jar of coconut oil. This one is packed on the farm in Thailand using brown glass to prevent deterioration of the oil. It tastes beautiful and fresh and... one week later my gout pain is settling, the aches and pains in my arms are easing, and I had barely a hint of PMS.

So go google and check out the scientific evidence on coconut oil if you like, but I'm telling you with real life experience - that stuff works!

(I have no idea what's happening with the BP though)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:33 pm, October 08, 2011, Anonymous 2paw said...

Fancy seeing you!! That was such a nice co-incidence and I am sure your self diagnosed and then treated toe is making cycling much easier!!

 
At 6:34 pm, October 21, 2011, Blogger Cherie said...

Coconut oil is AMAZING. We use it, too, and have for over a year. Your post here has encouraged me to get back to it more regularly. Cassie takes it every single day for her immune system and metabolism. Makes her hair really soft and nice, too, and her complexion stays clear. I use it on my feet to keep them soft and safe (particularly in the summer when I'm barefoot so much - protects against fungus.) I smooth it on skin irritations, and just on my skin now and then after a shower. We use it when making popcorn. And yes, it does ward off a lot of undesirable things. Thanks for rejuvenating my spirits, Cecily. Here's to the Oil!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home