<$BlogMetaData$

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

no knead for the old family bible after all

Apparently if you have a ganglion you should pull out the old family Bible, bash the two together and all will be resolved.

I've never been a fan of the treatment myself, too violent and base. So my ganglions have been left in peace to come and go at will. That meant my first ganglion hung off my wrist for a few months before gradually fading away. Occasionally the odd small lump has quietly come and gone, but lately my right wrist (always my right wrist, I think it's the violin that does it) has been sore and bumpy again. I've patiently waited and hoped this ganglion would go away, but all the while I am protecting my wrist from too much strain (because it does hurt, and that's without the emotional pain of such an ugly protrusion. Oh my, that pain is worse than any physical twinge) and nothing changes.

On Saturday I was kneading dough for another loaf of sourdough bread (anyone want one? I have starter coming out my ears). My wrist being tender, I was acting all protective and not really kneading properly, but the dough was slowly becoming supple as it should. I must have been feeling impatient with progress, because all of a sudden I exerted an almighty effort to push the dough into shape. Almighty when compared to my previous kneading of course, not almighty when compared to God Almighty - you get my drift? It was a super knead. With it there was a most definite, audible pop from my wrist.

And just like that, the ganglion was gone! It faded away over the course of a minute or two until now I have only a slight, diffuse, barely raised lump on my wrist. Amazing! Nurse that I am, I imagine my synovial fluid splattered amongst my delicate bones, but hey - my wrist is slim and elegant once more and all pain (emotional or otherwise) has disappeared!

And with that I am off to amend Wikipedia's ganglion entry. Really, everyone should know about this!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:24 pm, April 01, 2009, Blogger cecily said...

OK, I confess I lied. I have no intention of updating wikipedia. My brother called my bluff.

 
At 12:11 pm, April 02, 2009, Blogger Sandy said...

I had a ganglian too! Too many to mention actually, the damn ugly things. I had surgery the first time, I fell for that one, the doctor said he needed to remove it. When it came back, it went away with excercise, never to return.

Darn ugly things, I hate that they explode under your skin, that stuff inside can't be real good for your system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home