<$BlogMetaData$

Thursday, July 12, 2007

five years of love

On this day five years ago, Frank and I went on our first ever date. It was a rather awkward affair in which I attended his house for a brief viewing of Jag before we timidly headed out to see Minority Report. I remember loving the movie but hoping there would be no rude scenes as I did not want to sit through that embarrassment with a strange man beside me.

Ah, so much water under the bridge since that night, but back then we were both just testing the waters. I was fairly intent on heading overseas to tell the world of Jesus. Frank, apparently having never expected me to say yes, was convinced we'd never make it past the first date. How wrong we both were. How delightfully wrong!

Not that getting together was the simplest thing that ever happened. It took us a whole month to organise that first date.

He phoned me one Sunday evening to 'run a few things by me', but my flat at bible college was fill of giggling girls, so he decided to phone back later. We held our first conversation to the back drop of several girls quietly staking out my bedroom in order to hear exactly what 'running a few things by me' might mean. Of course it meant 'How old are you?' and 'Where do you see yourself heading?'... asked far more discretely than that of course, but I got the gist and went into shock. I had absolutely no idea where this call came from!

My strongest recollection of the whole affair is the trembling that overcame me for the next few days. And journalling into the deep of night. I was heading overseas! I was following God to the ends of the earth. And suddenly this. this. this man was asking me out?! And he was fifteen years older than me to boot, so he was Serious about the asking.

Or was he? It was trickier than that. Of course! No, Frank didn't just phone me up and ask me out. He left me hanging, trembling, anxious to know if 'How old are you' might progress to something more. I shivered for a week, overcome by the sense that this was something Big, before a little letter appeared amongst all the other mail on the college dining room table.

"I've heard Minority Report is in the same genre as the Matrix. If I asked you out, what would you say?"

I wrote back a postcard with only "I'd say maybe" written on it.

The next letter from Frank formally asked me to join him... he couldn't resist my 'deliciously tantalising response'.

And so, five years ago tonight, we mustered up all our courage and started out on the journey of growing together. It's been a hard, convoluted road at times, but after three years we got engaged (yes, that's two years ago tonight but that story will have to wait until next year!) and in two days we mark our eighteen month wedding anniversary (I know, I know... get over it and stop counting!). Not bad considering we didn't really intend for any of this to happen!

And how did we celebrate? I packed my bags to head to Armidale for another residential school. Exciting huh?! I did buy some yummy mini berry cheesecakes. Delicious. And the best bit was sharing them.

I love you Frank.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 2:47 am, July 13, 2007, Blogger Cherie said...

Wonderful, sweet, and goose-bumpy.......thanks for sharing your romance with us, Cecily.

Happy Anniversary to you and Frank!

 
At 11:26 am, July 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful indeed. This brought a smile to my face and heart. Thanks for sharing. I think I like Frank just because you love him.

 
At 3:01 pm, July 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww!
Thanks, Cecily (I've been looking forward to the "how we met" posts). :)
Happy Anniversary to you and Frank!

 
At 3:32 pm, July 13, 2007, Blogger lucidiocy said...

Gosh Cec,

it's all so romantic... Jeff and I have been together since we were teens so I miss the 'new' tantalising stuff, but I know he loves me, and I know the good years are yet to come, after all, my best visions of us are when we are old and gray and still holding hands .

 
At 11:17 pm, July 13, 2007, Blogger Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Great story!
Here's to many more happy years :)

 
At 2:15 am, July 14, 2007, Blogger deanna said...

Congratulations on the years together and on the 18 months of marriage. (It's fun to keep counting for a while.) :o)

 
At 7:45 pm, July 18, 2007, Blogger Robyn said...

Wow, is it really five years?? Doesn't seem that long ago! Congratulations :)
It was so lovely to see you, hopefully we can have a longer catch up next time you're up this way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home