<$BlogMetaData$

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

murphy's law

I'm not a strong believer in Murphy's Law - I'm too much of an optimist really. Besides, it's too deterministic for me. Surely life isn't played out with such black and white predictability that only the worst will happen? Don't we have a role to play in altering destiny and changing the course of history? Isn't it possible that if I choose to act in a particular situation I might be able to prevent the worst from eventuating?

Ah, the hours we could spend debating such philosophical and ethereal questions! But that isn't really the point of this post. The point is, I ran smack bang into Murphy's Law this morning. Right there, as I stood in the shower, that which I had hoped would not happen. Happened.

Not that it was very serious. Just annoying. Just Murphy's Law I suppose.

Several weeks ago (6th of May to be precise) Frank and I ordered a number of books from Amazon. Why we ordered from Amazon I do not know, since I later discovered all the books were available in Australia. I think it had something to do with the buzz of ordering from the online bookstore and the rumour of prices so cheap that even when postage is included it's cheaper than purchasing in Australia. (That little incentive became irrelevant when I accidentally ordered hardcover copies of several books that ended up costing far more than if I'd bought paper backs locally)

Amazon's handy prediction of arrival date suggested we could expect the books any time after 26th May, but possibly as late as 3rd June. Hoh, I thought. That's ridiculous! Postage doesn't take that long - we'll have them in a week or so. But then the days just kept on ticking by. When the 26th arrived without site or sound of a single book I was becoming feverish with anticipation.

Then one day, a knock. The postman with a delivery of books! Yippee!

No such joy - just my texts for next semester, so I returned to my state of watchfulness, listening out for every passing vehicle, imagining the gigantic postman footfall on the front verandah, planning my day around the potential arrival of our books. If I was home in the morning I postponed my shower until after the book might arrive. Of course, then I had to postpone my shower even longer because if they hadn't arrived early in the day, they surely would later.

It was all to no avail, and gradually I resigned myself to the possibility those books just might take until the 3rd June to show up. So this morning I dutifully jumped in the shower early to make the most of the day - and what do you know?! Just as I finished rinsing out my hair and stood to enjoy a moment of water therapy... KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.

What to do, what to do?

Jump out of the shower, grab a gown and run dripping to the door? What if the postie took advantage of me in my state of semi-dress?!?

Quietly pretend I was out, collect the card from the letter box and pick up the package later? But then I might not be able to collect it until four in the afternoon! How dreadful.

The dilemma! But somehow the risk of not getting those books immediately was motivation enough to stop the water, jump from the shower, hurriedly towel myself, run my fingers through my hair, yell down the hall that I was coming, grab a gown, fumble with the ties so my bosoms weren't falling out everywhere, stuff my feet into slippers and run desperately for the door. Just as the postman turned away I wrenched the door open and retrieved the package. And he didn't even seem to think it strange that water was running down my legs and my hair was dripping all over the mat! As to my babbling thanks - he turned and ran then!

And so we have our Amazon books and we're starting to slowly devour them. But - Murphy's Law - they came at the worst possible time! I wonder if I'd held off on the shower, would I still be waiting for them to arrive?!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 1:38 am, May 30, 2007, Blogger Cherie said...

Funny story, Cec. Been there, so know your anxiety.

So happy your books arrived!

 
At 1:54 am, May 30, 2007, Blogger One Wacky Mom said...

Hi there Cec!

Cool blog. I like it very much....like your thoughts too. I found you because my blog is called, "My Life is Murphy's Law." The sad truth is that really is...and I'm an optimist.

It's God's way of keeping me on my toes. At least that's what I tell myself!

 
At 8:09 am, May 30, 2007, Blogger Sandy said...

I'm almost sure the postman got a chuckle out of this one! Enjoy your books! Thanks for making me smile today.

 
At 9:21 am, May 30, 2007, Blogger deanna said...

I laughed out loud (not at you, but with you, of course). Thanks for sharing the story; happy reading of your new stories. Don't stay up tooo late.

 
At 9:37 am, May 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally know what you mean about waiting for a possible delivery.

Totally know what you mean about Amazon orders taking toooooo friggin' long to arrive. (I have an order on its way at the moment too.)

Just comfort yourself with the knowledge that getting hardcover versions locally would have been HIDEOUSLY expensive.

(I love Amazon ... 4 books for the price of 2! Woo hoo!)

 
At 1:42 pm, May 30, 2007, Blogger lucidiocy said...

I spent Memorial day locked in my room, in my pjs, on my bed (along with 3 cats and my extremely large mutt)reading my new book.

I heart Amazon. Strange, the books get here lickity split for me! mwahahaha

 
At 10:50 am, May 31, 2007, Blogger Robyn said...

Thats hilarious! Enjoy your books :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home