<$BlogMetaData$

Monday, August 25, 2008

... and one more thing

While I'm on my Olympic soap box I thought I would share another observation.

So the cute little girl at the opening ceremony was miming (I thought it was pretty obvious, but anyway) because this little girl was too ugly to sing in front of the whole world (I think she looks cute too, but never mind). I am not sure why the world was so shocked by this... China is hardly known as a country who will compromise in their efforts to present exactly (and only) what they want the people to see.

What I did love though, was that at the same time as China was condemning one girl to obscurity for her plump cheeks and crooked teeth, this band was being chosen to perform at the United Nation's celebrations to mark International Day of People with Disabilities in December. By any standard they are unique, different... disabled. I love that they are being recognised and honoured for having the courage to have a go, to make music despite the constraints disability places on them.

You go 'Rudely Interrupted'. You are what living life to the full is all about!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:32 am, August 26, 2008, Blogger Heather Plett said...

Wow - that story of the little girl is rather sickening. I guess it's the same thing that happens in Hollywood all time, but it just seems so much more hurtful when it's an innocent little girl. And you're right - she's pretty cute too!

I didn't watch any of the Olympics this year. I didn't intentionally boycot it, but our vacation coincided with them, and we were rarely close to a TV.

 
At 8:08 am, August 26, 2008, Blogger deanna said...

That girl is cute. Ugh, the perfect-image-crazy world abounds. I followed bits of the Olympics but wasn't around much to watch them. Wish I would've seen Australia's medal-winning events.

Oh, and I like you're cool profile picture. I just swapped mine with a photoshopped version; I've been playing. Hope you get some fun times this week. :o)

 
At 3:54 pm, August 26, 2008, Blogger Robyn said...

I had not heard of Rudely Interrupted before - how cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home